Sunday, 7 March 2010

Why don't we use CamelBaks?

It's just a thought and one that occurred to me earlier today soon after I fumbled a bottle onto the road. I'm still not particularly good at taking in food and fluid while in the saddle. For some reason I get jittery, my steering goes all to hell and things like this tend to happen.

This of course is annoying.

Of course there was no real harm done other than causing slight annoyance to myself and my buddy who kindly waited for me to collect said bottle which thankfully hand't split any of its content.

Now really, why do road bikers only seem to use bottle? I cant recall ever seeing anyone on what I'd call a bespoke road bike with a CamelBak.

I asked my buddy the same question and his response was the same as mine. He suggests its something to do with being a Mountain Bike thing or that using them gives the rider a sweaty back or perhaps due to a loss in aerodynamics. Either way these suggestions aren't entirely satisfactory.

i) Sweaty back? Well I think I could live with that.
ii) A reduction in Aerodynamics? And strapping two bottles to your frame is better how exactly?
iii) It's a MTB thing? Eh? This sounds a tad odd and perhaps lies more akin to the seemingly mutual distrust between the two schisms of our sport.

For the next week or so I'm planning to dump the bottles and road cycle MTB style. I'll let you know how it goes. Perhaps I'm about to stumble upon fluid intake Nirvana....

6 comments:

  1. You need the VeloBak http://bikereviews.com/2009/10/camelpak-velobak-a-road-bike-jersey-with-built-in-hydration/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very much to do with the Roadie - MTBer divide.
    We have lycra, spotless bikes and silky smooth legs. They have mud encrusted bikes, baggy shorts and camelbacks. Is just good old fashioned bike snobbery :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew - interesting, I've not seen this before so I'll have a look at that over the next week or so.

    Rich - so it seems. I'm there with the clean bike although I've yet to get the razor onto the legs. Perhaps when the weather gets better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I find it hurts my back. It doesn't seem much but a litre of water (1KG) on my back for 5 hours makes it hurt earlier than normal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw a couple of people riding with CamelBaks at the sportive on Sunday but it does seem very much the exception. Could be a good way to go if you can put up with it on your back, which might be easier in a UK winter than a Pyrennian summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few people used them on the Etape last year, including me for the first half of the ride - ditched it at the top of the second cliimb.

    It is not much fun on a 5km+ climb with that weight on your back and the heat.

    Will not be doing the same this year.

    ReplyDelete