So the weather wasn't as great over the weekend as I'd hoped. My ride out on Sunday was rather cold and in places quite damp. I also rather foolishly decided to forego a set of overshoes and spent the last hour of the ride unable to feel my feet.
This got me thinking which in turn got me to worrying - something I'm unfortunately rather good at.
It's suddenly and very clearly apparent there are so many things that could go wrong come July 18th. Perhaps noting them down here will help alleviate such fears?
1) Race day fluid intake
This is by far and away my number one major worry of all worries.
In all likelihood, July 18th is liable to be baking hot which means of course we are all set to sweat out most if not all of our body fluids. How on Earth are we going to be able to replace these said fluids?
I'm not willing to lug a CamelBak over 3 cols which from the starts means realistically limited to two 750mls bottles with perhaps an additional 500ml bottle in my jersey back pocket.
Is this enough to get me to the first aid station and when I get there will I have any energy left to join the bun fight to get more?
Am seriously concerned.....
2) Punctures and other mechanicals
Most guides I've seen on the Etape suggest a rider take as many tubes as they can. I'm told you can never have enough tubes?
Of course I assume, perhaps wrongly, the majority of riders will be on clinchers rather than the Tubs favoured by the actual TDF riders who of course have 15 wheels all ready and waiting in the back of the team car.....
So how many is enough? I'm thinking 3 or perhaps 4. Is 2 too little and will I have enough room with all the water, tyre irons and the chain tool I'm also supposed to carry.
At this rate I'll need a trailer rather than a saddle bag....
Am seriously concerned.....
3) Accidents, hold ups and delays
Lets face it. With 9k plus riders pretty much huddled together in a mass peloton until the top of the first Col there are bound to be hold ups and delays. Hopefully I'll get ahead of the bunch with a high start number although In reality I fully expect a start within the 7k plus pen
Sadly the other worry here is coming off the bike.
People are sure to clip wheels, cut other people up etc and the thought of that happening at 80kms plus is rather nauseating. Accidents of course can and do happen. I'm just hoping it doesn't happen to me.
Am seriously concerned.....
Of course, there's plenty more to worry about. Race day logistics, my bike being damaged in transit. Hell if I have to do any driving I'm sure to get lost and as I don't ask for directions in the UK I'm quite certain I'll fail with my GCSE French to make any headway with the locals.
As I keep saying, I'm very much concerned...........
Tuesday, 23 February 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1. I paid £30 for a private feed station. For my money I got 2 extra feed stations with great food and drink. The benefits were the quality of the sports drink (the stuff provided by Etape is not great), you avoid the scrum at the organised food stops and you can get more water if you want. Its kind of cheating I guess but it was really worth it.
ReplyDelete2. As I arrived late at the start, (hold-ups driving to the start) we got our bikes out of the tour operators vans and I had a puncture. I have never fixed a flat so fast in my life. My HR was in Z4 for a while.
I only had 2 tubes but someone gave me an extra after I changed mine at the start so I had 2 on the ride. You will be extremely unlucky to get more than 2 flats IMO.
3. Don't worry about hold-ups. Last years route was tight at the beginning but the pen system ensured that it never got too cramped.
Hi Stuart
ReplyDeleteYeah all very valid concerns.
1) I think you just need to get water when you can at all the stops. You might consider taking some Isostar tabs they come in small tube on 10. All you do is pop 4 0r 5 in your 1L bottle and your sorted.
2) I would take a few inner tubes and and a repair kit. I can not see you getting 2 flats but in saying that I did in 2008 lol just bad luck I guess. The Tourmalet has lots of small stones at the side of the road and they are sharp so stay out of there. If you can get a folding tyre in you saddle bag then take it. Hopefully you will never need to go in to your saddle bag on the day. Put your gels and powders in you shirt pockets and a tribag which I recommend.
3)If someone looks dodgy do not follow their wheel. Remember there is a lot of mixed abilitys out there like in any sportive. Look out for the middle of the roads they have those stupid poles in them in France I nearly went in to one. I also noticed when I did the etape those in front will not give warning of hazards like you would get on a club run. I also noticed this in UK sportive so as I say there is mixed riding experience, knowlege and abilitys everywhere.
4) Yeah logistics are another worry lol. Some guys at our hotel in 2008 still had bikes at the airport biting nails they would be coming for the big day!
I think for us in the UK unless you have a base in France it is a lot of prep and a hella big day.
I am sure all will be fine Stuart if you prepare yourself both with fitness and travel planning.
When you finish the etape up at the Toumalet it will be all worth while and the sense of achievement you get will blow you away.
This will be of no comfort but I have the same worries. It's just born of a desire not to fail, to do one's best. I have no experience to offer but I hope once I have completed a few pre Etape sportives that I will be better prepared. I think I will hope my family can be roadside at some point to provide a fuel/water stop and punctures, mechanicals and accidents can't be anything more than just bad luck which we can't control. Bring it on I say.
ReplyDeleteI'll put in my 2 penn'orth.
ReplyDelete1. Don't underestimate the benefit of remembering to drink (and gel) BEFORE the start (i.e. in the pens while you're waiting). The weather is not always baking (unfortunately) it has been known to be hosing down with rain. There are often other (water only) stop en route.
2. 2 or 3 will be sufficient, but make sure you have relatively new tyres on anyway. A good make such as Conti's will see you right, unless you have a total disaster as Alec did 2 years ago, even then Mavic may be able to sort you out. I suggest folding tyres as these can be got on & off quicker. A CO2 pump is a good time saver and a guarantee of proper tyre pressure.
3. The Peloton will not be together at the top of the Col de M-B, just at the bottom, mixes of abilities over several uphill km will spread things out a bit. There are a lot of gaps on the downhills.
It's easy to say ('cos I was a nervous wreck for the best part of 12 months before) but try to enjoy it. It will be over quicker than you think. Also, your training/ability seems higher than mine, which means you'll be fine.
Enjoy
Good advice there Clive, 2008 was raining cats and dogs at the start which was strange as it was sunny all week long :)
ReplyDeleteThere is a massive Decathlon shop in Pau to get stocked up on c02 pumps and anything else as you can not take c02 on the plane for those that are flying. Gels and powders galore too.
The start is a bit crazy but it soon evens out. It is good to get the cheers from supporters and locals by the road side too, helps a lot when you grinding away on a climb.
All
ReplyDeleteMany thanks for the comments.
I rather like Simon's idea of paid for aid station - I'll have a look into that over the forthcoming weeks.
The Tribag idea is something else I had not considered. Thanks Alec for that one.
As for tubes I'm think two and a couple of CO2 canisters should be enough. The folding tyre is also something I'll have to consider too.
As for everything else well perhaps it's time to stop worrying and just to accept what happens. Hopefully everything will be fine.
All the best
Stuart
All spot on advice, especially from past etapee's. Knowledge is power after all! Here's a few things i'll be bearing in mind relating to your list;
ReplyDelete1) - Sachets of sports drinks are handy to carry in the back pocket as they're light and thin in size and this means you can you're preferred energy drinks and all you need is some water, which should be the easiest thing to get a hold of at stops.
Also, attaching your energy gels to your bottles (ie open the lid and close with the top with the gels jammed in the lid. When you want the gel it'll rip off easy without having to unscrew the lid).
2) if you run out of space in the saddle bag you can always tape another tube to the underside of the saddle bag. carrying a combination of a small pump and a canister or 2 will ensure a quick change is possible if needed.
3) good advice from Alec, draughting with a group will definitely help save energy but you'll need to be super alert for potholes, stanks and street furniture. When descending the Marie Blanque remember there's 2 cattlegrids so learnt the French for them (i've already forgotten it!). Also be careful when descending not to overuse the brakes as this will mean the rims heat up so much that they could blow the tyre = nightmare.
Hopefully we'll not have to worry about any of these things though and the day will be a complete success!!!
Hi Guys
ReplyDeleteGood advice, where can you organise the private feed station. On waiting list for entry but have the same concerns..good advice on this blog. If I get an entry I'll be one of the riders to watch out for. Been riding Luxembourg cyclosportives for the past few years but the size of the etape is scary.
Let me know on the private stations
Thanks
Gareth