With 12 weeks to go I'm now moving into the penultimate phase of training for this years Etape.
With a good few months of base endurance in the legs I'm now planning on introducing a few threshold sessions which should help improve my ability to get over the hills come July 18.
So, from now until early July my training week looks something very much like this:
Monday
- Rest
Tuesday
- AM: 1hour easy spin
- PM: 1.5 / 2 hours Endurance - HR 155 - 160
Wednesday
- Threshold session: eg i) 10 or 25 mile TT, ii) between two and four efforts of 12 mins with 3 mins recovery etc - HR 175 - 180
Thursday
- As per Tuesday
Friday
- 1 hour easy spin
Saturday
- AM: 2 hours Endurance - HR 155 - 160
- PM: Threshold session as per Wednesday
Sunday
- Long ride 6 hours plus
So thats it. Looks nice and simple on the page.......
Sunday, 25 April 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Looks huge but if you can do it then why not. What will we all do with our time on July 19th when it's all over!
ReplyDeleteWowo, that's a serious schedule? If you can pull it off, you will fly up the mountains. Had you thought of doing any cross training or core work?
ReplyDeleteBoth
ReplyDeleteYep - this plan is on the large size although it represents the most I will do in the next 10 weeks (which isn't clear from the original post) and is based on increasing the training load over a three week period before using the 4th week to recover.
This fits nicely with my prep rides of the The Dragon and the Hampshire Hilly Hundred.
As long as I'm careful and pay close attention to my recovery and nutrition I'll be fine come July!!??
Andrew - very true! Come the 19th I'll be looking to eat my body weight in cakes, cheese & all things delightful that I've been avoiding over the past 6 or so months!! As for the 20th, well I'm not too sure.....
Simon
Core work: not something I've been looking at although I'm thinking I should. A strong core / pelvis should help me getting up those hills, especially when out of the saddle. Time to get that Swiss ball out of the loft me thinks.
Cross Training: actually no, no plans to do anything other than cycle as I tend to get injured (or have done in the past).
Doesn't look simple to me! That's a serious commitment that I'm sure will be paid back in your time on July 18th if you can pull it off! Good luck.
ReplyDeleteHi Rob - Thanks for the comment. Illness, injury and work are the only things likely to scupper the plans above.
ReplyDeleteAs long as I stay healthy and look after myself I'm happy I can manage the workload and if things dont work out I'll cut down accordingly.
It's been quite a few years since I attempted anything like this amount of training so as you can image, everything that can be is well and truely crossed!! :)