A quick note - by no way chance or idea is this post a jab a fate. I'm simply making a few observations. This isn't a challenge - just a few statements of how things are with my legs, knees and body in general.
I'm quite happy for the status to remain very much unchanged thank you very much..... So once again. Fate. I'm as far from tempting you as I possibly can.
Bad bad knees
Since beginning this blog towards the tale end of last year I've mentioned on a few occasions that I used to run. In all truthfullness I used to run quite a bit.
I'd run most things be they track 1500 meters, 10k races, cross countrys, half and full marathons and even a few 40 milers from time to time. I wasn't too bad either. I've run some good times and qualifed for Boston (but never haven't run it due to...... oh yes... injury.
But thats all in the past. Sadly all this (quite frankly super human effort if I do say so ;) ) in the long run didn't go down too well with my knees.
My left knee has literally been a pain since my early 20s when an encounter with a Ford Fiesta, naturally while out running, caused a nice little tear in it's ACL. While this healed up all OK the cartilidge didn't do so well.
Over the years this has gotton worse and naturally my other knee, feeling left out perhaps, decided to do something similar a few years later.
End result. Knackered knees. No more running. An expanding belly.
Why not Cycle/
I started cycling a few years ago after a physio suggested the lack of load bearing impacts made it a comprosime for people who like endurance sports but aren't really suited for running.
He was quite right. As I hope is aparant in this blog - I really really like getting out on my bike. And you know what. Other than the pain of fatiging muscle, it doesn't hurt. Not one bit.
Additionally (and here's where I'm tempting fate). I've been injury free for the past two years. Not so much as a leg twinge or an injured thumb.
If only I'd started this years ago........
Wednesday, 14 April 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Do you think having a year out from running and strengthening your legs with cycle, you would be able to run now?
ReplyDeleteHi Simon
ReplyDeleteQuite possibly. I've run a few times over the past year although the last time was back around December time where I had some some measure of joy in doing so.
I'll take a "wait and see" approach once the Etape's complete.
Perhaps I'll start with some trail running and stay off the road to keep the impacts on the knees as low as possible.
Time and my motivation will tell....