Well that’s it. All the arrangements are finalised. There really isn’t any way back – my entry is confirmed and paid for. I’ve also just sorted the last of the travel arrangements. Bar the passing days and the training I’m already on the start line.
I’ve previously mentioned I’d be letting the people at French Cycling Holidays take care of the majority of the logistical side of the Etape. Hats off to anyone doing this via an entry only place. I’m quite sure I’d never make it to the start line without someone holding my hand along the way. Perhaps I’ll think about doing something similar in the future although one step at a time……
I’ve decided to fly into Toulouse care of Easy Jet and then drive down to the Etape base camp that’s situated in Lourdes. While not that close to the start line in Pau I’m given confidence it’s location is a happy compromise between the start and finish locations. Of course I very well may be mistake. Most people I’ve spoken to suggest Lourdes, despite its religious significance, is somewhat lacking in charm. Others are less kind. Can a town really be compared to a Pissoir? Perhaps I’ve made a mistake after all?
Anyways, getting there… I had looked at taking the Ferry or perhaps the Euro Star and driving South. Upon further investigation this proved less than ideal. I’m treating the Etape as a long weekend and all in the time and mental / physical effort needed to drive all the way down to the South of France would, I believe, be too much – I’d be too tired to ride. I’d also spend the next 239 days worrying about it.
Of course this decision may turn out poorly. I will need to be at Standstead Airport by 4.30am and no doubt my bike will end up broken or flown off to Peru. Which reminds me. I really do need to get a case for Florence. And yes. That white bar tape was a stupid idea as it's now very much a colour as if a dark sock had found it's way into a white wash.....
Think positive Stuart. Everything will be bon.
Saturday, 21 November 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We've also opted for Lourdes. I hope it's not as bad as you've heard! We're hoping to take the train though - I think there's a pretty quick one (<4 hours) from Paris on Saturday morning.
ReplyDelete