Sunday, 1 November 2009

Rain, mud and cycle computers

Horrid day weather wise. I had planned a 3 hour or so looped trip on The Ridgeway on my MTB although the cold, rain and wind got the better of me leading me to cut the ride short by an hour. With spirits low and a damp backside (no crud cards) I set off home to seek the resolve needed not to quit these type of rides - after all, it could be like this in France in July......

Back home and having cleaned the bike I found myself looking on the web for a new bike computer. At the moment I use simple Cat Eye unit that measures speed and crank cadence. It works. Its not fancy but I'd like it do do more. I also use a wrist mounted HR monitor so it makes sense to combine the functionality into one piece of equipment.

I've narrowed the search down to two devices; the Garmin Edge 500 or the Polar CS500. Both seem very capable units with perhaps the Polar device being my more likely purchase of the two due to its cost. I've also been using Polar gear for years so I'm sure I'll take no time at all to get used to it.

I'll hold off making a decision for now. Both computers are not on sale until sometime in Q1 of '10 with the CS500 being slated for a "spring" launch.

I'll keep looking out for any reviews. If anyone can suggest anything else then I'm all ears.



above: Polar CS500 - due out in spring '10

No comments:

Post a Comment