After my recent work trips abroad I've been due a day or two off in holiday time.
Rather than sit around the house and watch the World Cup and given my recent troubles with my IT Band I decided to get myself a full and proper bike fit from the very good people at Sigma Sport
I opted for the Specialized BG Fit as it seemed to be the most comprehensive offering thats available to us mere mortals.

Well if its good enough for him.....
Working from your goals, flexibility (I can put both palms flat on the floor with straight legs if you ask...) and taking into account any injuries the chaps looking after me made the following changes:
1) The addition of shoe wedges
Both of my feet need additional support to stop the heals rolling inward during the pedal cycle with the end result being more stability and greater power transfer which of course is a good thing.
2) My stem was too long and saddle too far forward
We swapped out my 110mm stem for one thats 100mm in length and pushed back my saddle a good few cms too. This pushed my weight back towards the rear of the bike and aligned the balls of my feet over the pedal axels. Again, the end result of these changes being more power and stability through the pedal stroke.
3) My saddle was too low
My saddle ended up a few mms higher which doesn't sound much although I felt the benefit almost immediately with my pelvis feeling solid and stable all the way through the pedal motion.
4) My cleats were too close to the bottom bracket
Which was putting pressure on my IT bands by having them travel in an unnatural position while going through the cycle motion.
The things you learn......
Conclusions
Perhaps a little early to tell although in the 20 or so mins I was on the turbo this morning with the gents looking after the fit I felt great. £120 is a lot of money to spend although I figure I'd spend much more than that in Physio visits if things with my leg stay as they are so perhaps the trade off is worth it in the long run.
I keep saying it but my body felt solid and more stable both in and out of the saddle. What's more, I felt no stress in my dodgy IT band.
OK. So getting a fit like this that's totally changed the biomechanics of my cycling style just 4 and 1/2 weeks before the Etape is a risk.
But it's one that's worth taking. Of that I'm certain.
I'm off out for a ride. Finger crossed.
Interesting, thanks for that. I've also been thinking of a bike fit and was looking at BikeDynamics. Was a bit put off by the cost though, particularly when you factor in the likely new parts.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking of doing the same - just need to find the time to fit it in. Once you do the bike fit how do you ensure that you don't change the setup for example in packing/unpacking your bike for a trip or changing the saddle/cleats etc.?
ReplyDeleteYeah in the long run it is well worth it.
ReplyDeleteRob
ReplyDeleteGood point regarding the cost. Thankfully all I needed was a new stem which set me back £39.99. Of course this could have been alot more
Andrew
As for packing etc I dont see this as being a problem. I walked out of the session with the necessary measurements which the chaps talked me through so I can recreate them on other bikes and other shoes.
Alec
Yep. I'm hoping so.