As I said last time, the Dragon can wait.
So against my usual poor judgement I've decided not to partake in this years Dragon Ride due to the slight niggle that's become my right IT band.
Naturally from a selfish point of view I'm disappointed as like many others, I'd hoped to use the event as a yardstick to my overall fitness, group riding and bike handling skills.
The old me, the one of say 10 or 15 years ago would have ridden on regardless although I'm acutely aware my powers of recuperation and bodily repair are not what they were.
The Etape remains the priority and anything else purely window dressing.
Thankfully this little problem of mine doesn't seem to be getting worse and I'm certainly in a better position than Rob, one of my Etape colleagues, whose ride come July seems to be quite touch and go due to a similar IT Band issue.
So what should I do to make sure I'm there in Pau come July?
1) Stretching, stretching and stretching
Something I've clearly overlooked in the past few months. I'm now facing a near religious devotion to stretching that IT Band. Morning, noon night, at the coffee machine in the shower.... everywhere
2) Over the counter Drugs
Ibuprofen. A long time friend of mine. 3 times a day.
3) Ice
3 times a day for 20 mins. Always fun to roll up the trouser leg while at work. While people stare no-one says a thing.
4) No hills for 2 weeks.
Easy spinning on the bike to limit fitness loss while avoiding adding additional pressure and stress on the IT band.
So that's about it.
Good luck to everyone riding this weekend. I'm jealous of you all.
Thursday, 3 June 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
sounds like the sensible approach Stuart, and one you'll be thankful of come july18.
ReplyDeletehope the niggle clears up and i'm also a disciple of mr brufen!
Sounds sensible.
ReplyDeleteWhat ITB stretches do you do? I have a foam roller at home but what do you do in the shower?
Hi Simon
ReplyDeleteI use a basket ball & cricket ball as my version of the foam roller.
The stretch i do in the shower can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ7xSCJWa3I
I also do some of these found here: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099
Hope this helps and good luck with the leg!
I'm also wishing I was in South Wales this morning but as you say the Etape is the priority. I think I've finally turned a corner with my injury so I'm more hopeful than I was of making the start line in Pau.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the recovery.
All the best Stuart and well done on getting that low number. Looking good for a decent time if you get back to 100% fitness.
ReplyDelete