Tuesday, 1 June 2010

It looks like the dragon can wait

As some of you may know, this coming weekend, well actually on Sunday the 6th of June to be precise, sees the annual running of The Dragon Ride.

Coming in at a testing 190km through the Welsh hills I'd hoped this to be a real test of my fitness and leg strength prior to the Etape in July. I've been loooking forward to it since December of last year as those people I know who have ridden it in the past have only good things to say about it.

Sadly it's looking highly likely as I'll have to bail out of this event which of course is a great shame.

I'm not really injured although I'm not keen to push things too far and get myself into any more trouble. Sadly the saddle sore I mentioned last time hasn't really healed. Things are "looking better" so to speak although saddle time is still rather sore with me standing on the pedals far more than I like. Still. A little more time and lots of Savlon and things will sort themselves out.

In addition to the sore backside is a sore IT Band which is far more of a concern. I used to get this when I ran although I've not had any problems with it for a few years now. I notice I'm not alone with this issue as from from the blogs a few other people seem to be having similar trouble too (here for example).

This little niggle needs fixing before it becomes too problematic and going over 3000m+ of hills in less than a week isn't going to do me any good in the long term.

After all, the Etape is the Priority - lets keep that in perspective.....

I'm seing a physio tonight and I'll go for an easy spin on Wednesday and Thursday to see who things are.

Hopefully I'll be all ok and able to ride this weekend although in all honesty as I type I'd have give myself a 25% chance.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain (well metaphorically speaking at least!). I think you're definitely right to err on the side of caution though. My injury seems to have become quite chronic after stupidly attempting the Fred Whitton on it and now the Etape is in real jeopardy.

    ReplyDelete