Friday, 23 October 2009

Beware the 2010 Etape - Cycling Weekly's view

Just came across this exert from the Cycling Weekly blog and thought I'd share. Some interesting points from Robert Garbutt - the editor of the UK based Cycling Weekly magazine.

I'm not being a killjoy, honest. I speak from experience: I was an Etape failure in 1998. And there's that figure of some 2,000 non-finishers from this year's entry of 9,500 riders. Climbing the Ventoux can never be considered easy, but the remainder of the 2009 Etape route should be considered virtually flat compared to what's on offer next July.

He goes on....

Of course, with the right preparation, the Etape is perfectly achievable and the majority of entrants will have a fantastic day out. Then you read those online comments asking: how to enter (fair enough) and - wait for it - what type of bike to buy (grrrr). This isn't London to Brighton, you know.

Point taken....

1 comment:

  1. It does ring a few alarm bells doesn't it?! Will be interested to hear what you learn from the book and just how far off the mark I am with training volume!

    ReplyDelete