Friday, 23 October 2009

I'll need a cunning plan

"Ride the bike, ride the bike, ride the bike....."

I used this quote in my last post. Supposedly Eddy Merckx said it to a young rider when asked what was needed to become a better rider.

Eddy's quote has had me thinking. I'm going to need a training plan, and one thats specific to the Etape. I cant simply just go out and ride and think I'll be ok on the day.

The basic fitness and nutrition knowledge to get me across the line I already have (from my background in running and a seldom talked about Sports Science BSc). What I'm woefully short of is the specifics of applying the science to cycling and more importantly within an ultra endurance event. This will be my first.

The fundamentals of endurance training should be interchangeable across sports be they cycling, running, cross country skiing or long distance moose chasing. What I really need is advice and guidance on how best to apply them over the next 9 months.

I believe I've found a great starting point with a book I found on Amazon for a quid: Elite Performace: Cycling: Successful Sportives by Garry Palmer & Richard Allen. I'll have a read over the weekend.......

No comments:

Post a Comment