Tuesday, 27 October 2009

Etape base training (Nov - Jan)

Thought a quick update on the training is called for. For ease and honesty sake I'm able to report so far so good.

For the first few months and perhaps onwards into early Spring I've decided to focus on time in the saddle rather than miles covered.

Given my background in running this approach is counter intuitive although I understand the concept. For years I've lived on 55m - 75m week in week out. My training diary now reads in terms of mins on the road rather than miles ran - thats very much a first.

Thus far training is all about building the endurance base:

- Monday - Rest
- Tuesday - 1 - 1.5 hour within endurance heart rate (165 - 170 bpm based on my max HR of 205)
- Wednesday - 30min - 45mins recovery ride (150 - 155 bpm)
- Thursday - as Tuesday
- Friday - rest or as Wednesday
- Saturday - As Tuesday
- Sunday - 90mins to 4 hours nice and steady

I'm certainly feeling the benefits and am getting stronger on the hills and so far my body is holding up.

I seem healthy and have avoided the colds and flu that have hit colleagues and family. I've a slight ongoing discomfort in my right knee although I've had that for years so I'm not overly concerned.

I'll keep this plan going until the new year. By then I should have a stong endurance base and one that's able to cope with intervals and additional strength related sessions.

I'm rather enjoying this........

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're putting the hours in already. Just wondering how you calculated your max HR? Seems different to the standard 220 - age formula (which is also way out for me based on going flat out on the turbo).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob - I've always had quite a high max HR. Agreed, its well above the 220 - age standard we often read about although I've always had a high max HR. In my early 20s reach 220 - 225 which often had people on my degree course (Sports Science) more than a little concerned.

    It seems my max HR is still above average. My most recent max HR was measured a month ago as part of a VO2 max test by former friends who stayed in academia.

    As for the hours well I guess I'm quite lucky. I'm used to the training workload to some extend from my running days. I'm also very lucky in as much as I have very little family commitments and a very understanding wife.

    As I've said in the blog, so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. From a pretty unscientific test, I think my max is in low 170's - way lower than expected. (My resting HR is also unusually low - low 30's).

    So much for the formulas! I worry about HR zone training for this reason, even if you have accurate values there is so much different advice on what zones are right. I think there's a real danger of forcing yourself to train in completely the wrong zone. I'm coming to the conclusion that perceived exertion might be less risky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Understand your points. The trouble with using exertion as a measure, or in my case at least, is that I underestimate the physical workload of each session and therefore let my body work outside the aerobic zone where I'm not utilising my fat stores for fuel. I all to easilly go up to 180 - 190 bpm which isn't an efficient zone for endurance work.

    By using a HR monitor and having an accurate knowledge of my Max HR I'm able to train with greater control as I know exactly when I'm able to be fuel efficient.

    Of course, what works for me may not work for everyone and if the exertion method works for you then thats great.

    ReplyDelete