Monday, 26 October 2009

The joy of Thermos

Really enjoyed last weeks training which finished off in a 2 hour ride in the autumn sun. Gentle warmth on the face, almost traffic free roads and a rather fine thermos waiting for me back at the car – all rather pleasant.

I mentioned in my last post I’d picked up a copy of a book aimed at the Sportive rider. Elite Performance: Cycling: Successful Sportives by Garry Palmer & Richard Allen. I’m rather impressed.

It doesn’t dwell on the science. If anything I would like to see more references to peer reviewed studies although I’d agree that isn’t the book’s aim. Where this book works so well is it’s presentation of the fundamental aspects of endurance training, ie nutrition, physiological adaptation etc, but in a fashion that’s easy to grasp.

It’s unashamedly aimed at Etape riders with a training calendar (split by novice, experienced and advanced riders) to match the July time frames.

In summary - highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment