Wednesday, 9 December 2009

Etape inspired reading list

I meant to post this a week or so ago while feeling on the wrong side of rough. In the spirit of getting further into the Etape I've spent some time looking for inspiration from the pages of Amazon.

As might be expected there's plenty books on cycling to choose from be they on coaching, biogs or even the ubiquitous "dummies guides". Here's a handful of titles I've read over the past month or so - all well worth a read and can be picked up for little more than a few pounds from Amazon's second hand store:

1) The Death of Marco Pantani - Matt Rendell



A riveting and ultimately a tragic tale, the book takes you through Marco's life, his almost compulsive need for the sport to sadly to his drug addled death. Beautifully written and an excellent insight into the man

2) The Rider - Tim Krabbe

Wonderful, a book that focusses on a single mythical race in the mountains. Written from the riders perspective you finish the last page feeling you were with the protagonist the whole way.

3) Bad Blood: The Secret Life of the Tour de France - Jeremy Whittle



An interesting read which follows the writers change of heart from a true fan into an out an out sceptic of the values associated with the Tour and the riders that tackle it.

4) French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France - Tim Moore

A reasonably fit chap decides to follow the 2000 Tour route on a GT. Brilliant and laugh out loud funny.

No doubt I'll pick a few more over the next few months. I've asked for the Bradley Wiggins Bio, and a few other things, for Xmas so hopefully Santa will be kind come the 25th.

No comments:

Post a Comment