Thursday, 31 December 2009

A gift from me to me & me on Twitter

Ok, so I suggested I wouldn't post again until the new year. That said I hadn't expected the nice Mr Postman to come knocking this side of '09. Anyway, as some people will know I bought Florence in October - a grand bike she is and perfect for upgrading.

So far I've only changed the saddle and in truth, this hasn't gone too well. Thankfully this situation, and my backside soreness, improves by the day. The more I ride, the less it hurts which of course must be a good thing. The next change / upgrade was always to be the wheels. The stock issue Mavics, fine as they are, are a little heavy and give an ever so slight leaden feeling to the ride which simply wont do.

While tempted by the Zipp 404 or perhaps its shallower 303 cousin, common sense and a lack of the necessary cash funds prevailed meaning I've opted for a wheel set from Easton . Many thanks once again go to the good people at Wiggle for the speedy service and low low prices.



While not perhaps a hosehold name the Easton EA90 SLX seem a perfect choice for for me and for the Etape. Firstly the build quality is impeccable. The hubs are velvety smooth and the spokes... well they seem fine to me. Can you tell I'm no mechanic or real expert of such things? Anyway....

The real winner is the weight. They come in at 1400 grams. For a clincher that seems quite incredible and comes close in weight terms to many top end tubs. Ok, the SLX 90's are perhaps not the stiffest thing out on the road. I've only been on one ride with them and I noticed a subtle flex to them when really honking on the bars. Still, this wont bother me too much and I'm certain I made the right choice.

Naturally just by putting these wheels onto Florence wont make me dance up the hills. It's quite clear I'm no Contador, Schleck or even a Mr Cavendish who perhaps it's fair to say isn't the best climber in the peleton but hey..... it all helps.

Oh yes, I almost forgot - I'm now on Twitter with the id NoMoreShadows. Its a long long story....... I have no idea how I intend to use this type of media but feel free to "add" me.

As ever, all the best

No comments:

Post a Comment